Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Chili - I love it!

This is from the "Family Favorites Made Lighter" cookbook. It's a smidge time-consuming, but easy. I first made it on October 1, 1997 and wrote "very good and easy (not real quick, though)". I sometimes make it in the morning (when I have more time and energy) and put it in the crockpot. By the way, I always double it.

8 oz. 90% lean ground beef
1 c. chopped onion (1 large)
1 c. chopped celery (2 stalks)
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced (I usually just use powder)
1 15 1/2 oz. can lower-sodium red kidney beans, drained (and rinsed)
1 14 1/2 oz. can lower-sodium tomatoes, cut up (I just get "diced")
1 8 oz. can lower-sodium tomato sauce
1/4 c. water
2-3 t. chili powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. dried basil, crushed
1/4 t. pepper

In a large saucepan, cook ground beef, onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic till meat is brown. Drain off fat. Stir in the kidney beans, the undrained tomatoes, the tomato sauce, water, chili powder, salt, basil, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or till the vegetables are tender. Makes 4 servings.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

wahoo making chili today!!! combining this recipe with the uber awesome recipe Jamie and I got for Christmas, from Jamies super wise and smart and brilliant mature sister Kara. Be sure to ask how it turns out. We are putting it in the crockpot...Happy January 18th everbody. Good night:]

Christina said...

Hey Matt how did it turn out???????

Matthew said...

Work Super Bowl Chili cook-off tomorrow - think this recipe wins it? O wise Kara, can you please provide a copy of the chili recipe you hand wrote a dozen years ago?