I don't want to lose this recipe as these are DELISH! I made them for the cookie exchange a couple of years ago. This year was terrible - trying to find candycanes here in London was a challenge! The only ones I could find were so expensive, but I did track some down that weren't too bad. Got some more after Christmas (thanks to my friend Heather) and made some more batches. Here is the recipe:
1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon peppermint
1/8 teaspoon red food coloring
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup finely crushed candy canes
1 cup chocolate chip (I like semi-sweet and I use more)
1/3 cup candy cane coarsely ground
Heat oven to 350 degrees (in the UK 176 degrees celcius). Spray the 9x13 pan. Cream butter and sugars. Beat in egg, extract and food coloring. Add flour and salt. Stir in 2/3 cup candy canes. Spread into pan (make sure your hands are clean -- you have to press this into the pan). Cook for 25 minutes (in the UK about 18 minutes). I check to make sure the middle doesn't sink in when I touch it. Once you take it out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and then put a cookie sheet or something similar over the top of the pan so that the chips will melt. After a few minutes, take off and spread the chips. Then sprinkle the coarsely ground candy cane over.
I break up my candy canes in a ziploc bag and use a hammer. Truthfully you have to use a double layer of bags so it won't break through (at least over here as the bags are cheaper). The following isn't a good picture, but you'll see (kind of) how it looks from the side (layers):
4 comments:
hahahaha, these should really be "Kim's" peppermint bars since you have made them many more times than I have! They are delish though, I had meg make them this year. Yum, yum.
ladies...cmon...We need some new recipies to try,plz some soon.
haha I never saw Matt's comment. Who gets the emails? Chrissy?
gnamgnam! It looks delicious!
Post a Comment