Thursday, August 8, 2013

Garlic & Lemon Chicken w/Green Beans and Red Potatoes

I've been trying to find healthier recipes to make for John and I and also for my kids when I go to the States and (hopefully) cook for them.  Here is one we tried the other night and it was very good.  I actually made it again a few days later for guests and used carrots and potatoes instead of beans.
(gluten free, low carb, Diabetic friendly)

6 T olive oil
2 lemons - 1 thinly sliced, 1 juiced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 t salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
3/4 lb. trimmed green beans
8 small red potatoes, quartered
4 chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 400° F.  Coat a large baking dish with 1 T olive oil.  Arrange lemon slices in single layer on the bottom.  In a large bowl, combine the remaining oil, lemon juice, garlic (yes, I used real garlic), salt and pepper.  Add green beans and toss to coat.  Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the green beans and arrange them on top of the lemon slices.  Add the potatoes to the same olive oil mixture and toss to coat.  Using a slotted spoon or tongs, arrange the potatoes along the inside edge of the dish on top of green beans.  Place the chicken in the same bowl and coat thoroughly.  Place chicken on top and pour any remaining olive oil mixture over.

Roast for 50 minutes.  Remove the chicken from the dish.  Place the beans and potatoes back in oven for 10 minutes or more until potatoes are tender.  Place a chicken breast on 4 serving plates and divide beans and potatoes equally.

(The second time I made this was Sunday, August 4, 2013...it was Fast Sunday so I knew we'd be ready to eat pretty quick after returning from Church at 5 pm.  So I put it in the crockpot [after coating with the picture] and it turned out pretty good...I also put it in a dish and in the oven when I got home for a few minutes.  However, the original method is the most delish - the potatoes especially...and I only had regular old potatoes.)

No comments: