Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Delicious Chocolate Cupcakes

I got this recipe off of someone's blog...either Alysa's friend or Jeanellie's...I can't remember. Sorry I can't give credit where credit is due, so if you know whose it is, please advise. Anyway, I decided to make these today. I haven't made cake from scratch for a LONG time...and definitely not icing. Here is the recipe and the pictures...we loved them!
For the cupcakes:

2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Set oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine and set aside. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar and oil and beat with a hand mixer. Alternating with boiling water, add flour mixture in 3 additions. Stir in vanilla.

Divide between muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and pipe frosting on top.

For the chocolate frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Combine butter, cocoa powder and powdered sugar and mix until butter is smooth. Add milk and vanilla. Adjust with more milk or powdered sugar if needed.

Yields 24 regular-sized cupcakes.
Rookie's Notes: I figured out the trick to using cocoa powder in frosting and it being completely smooth. Sift the cocoa powder. I know, such an obvious thing, but sometimes I am a little slow on the uptake.



1 comment:

Chris said...

looks so yummy. I will have to try them as soon as we get over this heat wave.