Kara and I made these last Saturday morning, and it’s about time I put them up here.
I posted about these with my Bakerella Post, and they are really fun to make and turned out super cute, even on our first try.
Stuff you’ll need: 1 cake mix, 1 can of premade frosting, wax paper, freezer, chocolate melties/bark of your color choice, sprinkles are optional as are decorative frostings.
Here’s what you do:
Step 1: Bake a cake. Any kind of cake you want. I did Devil’s Food, because I know Andrew loves his chocolate and I was planning on him eating more than a few of these.
Let the cake cool all the way (usually over night) before you do anything else with it.
Step 2: Crumble the cake up in a bowl. I did my cake half at a time, which is the reason for the half cake up there. It doesn’t have to be super small crumbles, but you don’t want big chunks either. Add almost 1 full can of premade frosting to your cake crumbles (for a whole cake) and stir it up until its well blended.
Step 3: Make small balls with your cake/frosting blend. Mine made from about 50 to 60 cake balls. The frosting helps it stick together! Put these in the fridge for a couple hours or in the freezer for about a half hour, so they aren’t super squishy.
When they are nice and firm, pull them out of the cold for…
Step 4: Melt your chocolate in the microwave, or however you want to do it. Do it in a high sided bowl, so you can have a deep enough pool of chocolate for your balls to be about half way buried when you drop them in. When your chocolate is melted, go a head a drop a cake ball in. Use a spoon to drizzle chocolate on top of them until they are covered and then lift them out with the spoon.
Tap the spoon on the side of the bowl to smooth out the chocolate and get rid of extra on the spoon and place the ball on the wax paper.
There’s extra chocolate around the bottom of the balls, but that is alright for right now. If you want, you can score a line around the base with a toothpick to try and make separation easier later, but a knife when they are completely dry worked well.
Step 4.5: Don’t let the baby think the chocolate is his food. He will want it badly and struggle greatly against Mama. Just give him some things you don’t use anymore, because they will get all slobbery and gross :D, and
stick him on a blanket where you can still see him and let him play with your stuff so he doesn’t get into the hot melted chocolate. MMM, yummy empty crackerjack box.
Step 5: Decorate your chocolate balls however you’d like. If you are doing sprinkles, do it immediately after you’ve taken the ball out of the chocolate. Any other decorating can wait until the balls are dry.
I really wanted to make these for baseball season. I am not the greatest decorator, but I think you will find some recognizable baseballs in the bunch. I also made a bunch of these to take to Shamrock ‘n Roll ‘09 on Tuesday and they were a big hit.
So, super fun and easy to make, and they taste wonderful and they look cute! Everyone should give it a try!
2 comments:
hahahaha that is so funny "yummy empty crackerjack box" You girls are so clever! Where do you get it from? I guess we take our parent's weakest thing (in my family that would have been picture taking) and take it to greater heights! I salute you!
rats...that was me...mom
Post a Comment