Sunday, March 22, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap


We had this demonstration at Enrichment several months ago. Then Marcia Jacobs and I got together and made it. It turned out great, we had fun together, and it was so cheap!! The funny thing is that I put it in milk jugs and put it in the laundry closet. John thought I had gone "crazy" putting milk in the cupboard...




Liquid Laundry Soap
1 bar Fels-Naptha soap, grated. (makes 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups Washing soda
1 1/2 cups Borax
All of these can be purchased at a major market or Winco.

Boil 1/2 gallon hot water and then add grated soap until dissolved. Keep stirring, add other soaps until dissolve. Take off of stove and keep stirring.

Add 1/2 gallon cool water and stir. This stirring process will keep it emulsified. Add 1 gallon cool water and stir about every 15 minutes with a mixer or stick blender. At this point you have 2 gal of water. I transfer to 5 gal bucket and add the last 1 gallon cool water (3 gallons total). Keep stirring with a long handle spoon. As soon as it will not separate put in containers. I use 1 gallon milk jugs.

Use 1/4 cup per load. This is safe for front load washers. Before I use soap, I give it a hard shake.


Powdered Laundry Soap
Grate soap bar, crumble to small pieces, add 1 1/2 cups of other soaps mix well put in upright container and use.

1 comment:

CK Morgan said...

Thanks mom. I'm going to try and get the ingredients this week.